Posts for: February, 2021
Remember Your ABCDEs
This easy-to-remember acronym will help you spot those signs of skin cancer whenever you examine moles yourself. This is what it stands for,
- A is for asymmetry: A healthy mole will be perfectly circular and symmetrical. If you find that half of the mole is shaped differently from the other half, this could be a sign of pre-cancerous growth.
- B is for a border: A healthy mole will have a clearly defined border. If the mole has a jagged or an even or poorly defined border, it’s time to visit your dermatologist.
- C is for color: A healthy mole will remain a singular color throughout your life. If the mole changes color or develops multiple colors this could be a sign of skin cancer.
- D is for diameter: A healthy mole is typically smaller than a pencil eraser (under 5mm). Moles over 5mm, or larger than a pencil eraser, may be cause for concern. Large moles warrant seeing a dermatologist.
- E is for evolving: A healthy mole will remain the same over the course of your lifetime. So, if you notice it changing at all then it’s worth having a dermatologist look at it.
Along with remembering your ABCDEs, it’s also a good idea to look for,
- New moles: Just because you develop a new mole doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s cancerous; however, if you start noticing any new moles developing past the age of 20 (particularly on the face, neck, shoulder, or other sun-exposed areas), this warrants an evaluation with a skincare professional.
- Troublesome moles: Do you have a mole that bleeds, itches, crusts over, or is painful or tender? If so, the mole should be checked out.
Target fat around the chin with this easy, injectable treatment.
Submental fullness, also known as a double chin, can make anyone feel more than a little self-conscious. A double chin can certainly fuel insecurities, not to mention make you avoid or dread those social media selfies. Fortunately, our Fort Lauderdale, FL, board-certified dermatologists here at the Skin Center can offer a simple, nonsurgical solution that can get rid of that unwanted fat and give you a more clearly defined and more confident chin line.
What is Kybella?
This FDA-approved cosmetic injectable contains deoxycholic acid, which targets and eliminates fat cells to treat submental fullness, or a double chin. It is the only FDA-approved treatment for targeting fat under the chin and surgery is not required, making this a great option for anyone dealing with unwanted chin fat.
What are the benefits of Kybella?
If you are looking to achieve a slimmer jawline by removing excess fat, then Kybella may be the ideal treatment option for you. Some of the benefits of this injectable treatment include,
- A minimally invasive, non-surgical treatment option to getting rid of unwanted chin fat
- No downtime, which means you can return to work and normal activities immediately
- An effective solution for permanently destroying fat cells in and around the chin
- Improving the shape and appearance of your face
- Increasing self-confidence
- Creating a younger-looking appearance
What should I expect from treatment?
Before getting Kybella, it’s important to discuss your medical history with our dermatologists to make sure that this treatment is right for you. During the procedure, our dermatologists will mark the areas to be injected with a pen. Ice or a topical numbing gel may be applied to the skin beforehand to reduce any discomfort. The treatment process only takes 30-45 minutes.
When will I see results?
Most patients will require anywhere from two to six treatment sessions in order to achieve optimal results with Kybella. During your consultation, our Fort Lauderdale, FL, cosmetic dermatologists will be able to tell you how many treatment sessions you will need to see results. Most patients will see results after just one to two months after their first set of injections.
If you are looking to get a more perfectly defined chin with the help of Kybella, turn to the expert cosmetic dermatologists at Skin Center in Fort Lauderdale, FL, to get the results you want. Call us today at ((954) 500-SKIN (7546) to schedule a consultation.
- Sores in the mouth and nose (mucous membrane sores)
- Hair loss, sometimes caused by discoid lesions
- Purple spots (due to broken blood vessels) on the legs
Massage therapy has so many benefits. It relaxes the body, improves circulation, and can help reduce aches and pains. There are several types of massage therapy to choose from and there is one that is right for you. The knowledgeable dermatologists at Skin Center in Fort Lauderdale, FL, can recommend a specific form of massage therapy to address your individual needs.
Types of Massage Therapy
Massage therapy involves the manipulation of the body’s soft tissues, such as the muscles and tendons. A variety of techniques, such as kneading or rubbing, can be used to relax the soft tissues in the area being treated. Several different types of massage therapy are available at our office in Fort Lauderdale, FL. We offer:
- Deep Tissue Massage: This technique utilizes slow strokes and firm pressure to reach the deeper layers of muscle, as well as the connective tissue that surrounds it. Deep tissue massage is an effective method for treating prolonged inches and pains. It is also used to treat contracted areas, including sore shoulders, a stiff neck, low back pain, the upper back, and tightness in the leg muscles.
- Hot Stone Massage: This method uses heat to treat deeper layers of muscle tissue. Smooth, flat stones are heated and applied directly to the affected areas. In addition to relaxing muscles, the heat from the stones also expands blood vessels and improves blood flow throughout the body. Other benefits of hot stone massage include stress reduction, relief from chronic pain, and promoting deep relaxation.
- Swedish Massage: This popular massage technique is used to relax the entire body. It also eases tension, increases flexibility, improves circulation, decreases muscle toxins, and increases blood oxygen levels.
- Sports Massage: This massage method is used to treat areas of the body that are stressed and overworked from performing forceful or repetitive movements. Sports massage is particularly beneficial to athletes and can enhance their training by preparing their minds and body for optimal performance. It also has the potential to reduce recovery time. Additionally, sports massage can help prevent injuries, improve endurance, reduce fatigue, and promote flexibility.
Benefits of Massage Therapy
You can enjoy numerous benefits with massage therapy. Some of the many benefits include:
- Overall relaxation
- Stress reduction
- Improved circulation
- Less muscle tension
- Increased flexibility
- Decreased muscle toxins
- Injury prevention
Massage therapy can reduce aches and pains and help you feel more relaxed. Our experienced dermatology professionals can help you select the right type of massage therapy for your needs. Schedule an appointment to learn more by calling Skin Center in Fort Lauderdale, FL, at (954) 526-3359.